Friday, February 6, 2009

A Hundred Shades of Jaina

It was suggested to me back on my 100th post that I should try out the traditional 100 things about me. Of course I never really got around to doing it...and definitely not before my actual 100th post. (I'm good like that) But I figured it would be a fun challenge for myself, so I've been working on it. And then got around to realizing that it was nearing my bloggiversary, so quickly too. So I decided that I would make this a somewhat anti-climatic 1 year post. At least anti-climatic compared to other bloggiversary posts I've seen.
So without further ado, here are one hundred random things about me. If you make it to the end and still have questions, let me know, I'd be more than happy to answer them. I love questions. But don't worry, I won't be offended in the slightest if you don't make it to the end, it's a long list.

1. I was an only child for 11 years and now have two fabulous little brothers who I love more than anything.
2. My eyes are blue, but change to different shades and sometimes gray or greenish depending on my mood and what I'm wearing.
3. My right ring finger is a size 6 1/2, but the left one tends to be slightly smaller (size 6-ish)
4. I was a music major in college.
5. I love history, it was my minor.
6. I'm mostly German, with a healthy dose of Irish, English and some sort of Dutch and French.
7. I studied French for the sole reason that I've always wanted to go to Paris.
8. I absolutely love Disneyland and all things Disney (yes I do recognize some of the so-called anti-feminist themes etc that people complain about, but I simply choose to overlook them and enjoy the movies for their intention...which, just in case anyone is wondering, is entertainment and enjoyment of fantasy, not brainwashing)
9. My favorite book is Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen, I read it at least once a year.
10. I melt for anything strawberry....strawberries are one of my weaknesses.

11. Dark chocolate is another weakness--the darker the better
12. I rarely drink, but when I do I like Midori Sours, Strawberry Margaritas, and sweeter wines. (iced wine is expensive, but divine...I recently discovered a blackberry wine that is delicious AND deliciously cheap)
13. I'm missing 4 permanent teeth, but you'd never tell looking at my smile (there IS a bit of a story here of course, remind me and I'll tell you about it sometime)
14. My mouth is the highest point of pain tolerance in my body. (result of the above) My orthodontist once did surgery on my gum with just a local anesthetic (related to the story with #13) and I've had fillings without novicane. (and yes, if there were any way I could endure your dental appointments for you, I would)
15. Christmas is my favorite holiday. I love the spirit and the lights and the joy. I love buying gifts for people and finding just the right thing. I love mass and Christmas morning and spending time with my extended family. I especially love the music and the movies too.
16. My favorite color is blue, in all shades.
17. I could eat Italian food from here to eternity. I LOVE pasta, especially cheese ravioli.
18. I'm acquiring a taste for wine, and someday hope to have a small winery with the bf
19. I love arts and crafts, Michael's is one of my favorite stores (also very dangerous to my bank account, particularly when unaccompanied)
20. I have lots of candles, I love to burn enough candles to light a room to journal by...my apartment looks beautiful when I have all my candles lit.

21. When I was little I was convinced that I was going to marry Alvin, as in the Chipmunk. Nevermind that he was animated or a chipmunk, I was CONVINCED. I even made my mom buy the fruit cups that I didn't like and never ate for the sole reason that Alvin was on the label. (she did figure that one out pretty quickly)
22. I've played the flute since the 5th grade.
23. I have 11 cousins on my mom's side and 19 on my dad's side.
24. When I was younger I wanted to be a movie star. (still wouldn't mind it, of course)
25. I love working with computers and electronics, even though they sometimes make me want to break out the sledge hammer (I do not actually own one...yet. Sledgehammer, that is)
26. I am a Star Wars fanatic. It's mellowed a lot, but I still kick butt at Star Wars Trivial Pursuit.
27. My favorite flower is the California Poppy, though if you were to buy me flowers I like tulips, daisies, daffodils and roses. (though really, if it's pretty I'll like it, those are just the ones I blurt out when asked for a flower one could actually purchase at a store)
28. I love unsweetened iced tea. I can handle a little sweet, but not Southern style sweet.
29. I have lived in three different cities in my life, two of them twice. (the pattern is A->B->C->A->C...I currently live in city C)
30. I love New York City. I've only been twice and I'd really love to go again sometime on my own schedule. I want to go skating at Rockefeller Center in December and play in Central Park in the Spring.

31. I love horses, they're my favorite land animal. I want to go riding in Central Park and through the battlefields at Gettysburg.
32. Orcas (aka Killer Whales) are my favorite ocean animal
33. I am the proud owner of season passes to Disneyland, the Zoo and Sea World
34. I absolutely love fireworks, we're pretty sure it's in our blood. (definite story here)
35. My nickname, Jaina, is the formal version of a real life nickname given by my two best friends. It's actually taken from a Star Wars book. (did I mention I'm a total nerd?) The night we christened each other with those names is one of my favorite memories with those boys.
36. I have never dyed, colored, highlighted or otherwise put any fake chemicals in my hair. If I'm in the sun enough, my hair gets natural, bright blonde streaks through it. (this has been the source of MANY blonde jokes, even though I'm not blonde)
37. I nearly always have music playing, wherever I am. It's near impossible for me to be in silence.
38. I don't choose my music tastes by genre, I listen to what I think sounds good. Consequently, I have a very eclectic taste in music.
39. Stravinsky is one of my favorite composers, Le Sacre du Printemps (The Rite of Spring) is one my most favorite of his compositions.
40. I get sucked in by historical fiction, especially about Queen Elizabeth and that era of history. I also discovered this amazing historical mystery series featuring none other than my favorite Jane Austen as the heroine.

41. I have a very active and vivid imagination.
42. I don't like scary movies, partly because of the aforementioned active imagination. I unfortunately seem to have a somewhat morbid fascination with the previews for such movies.
43. I look for the good in everyone and every situation. I am one of the most positive and happiest people you will ever meet.
44. My favorite veggies are cucumbers and mushrooms. (sauteed mushrooms have become a recent addition to my repertoire...they're mouthwatering, especially when done with spinach)
45. I have lived in Southern California my entire life, and the mere thought of living in a landlocked state makes me incredibly claustrophobic.
46. I have been to Washington D.C. a total of 4 times and have been inside every major national monument (including the Capitol, the White House and the Washington Memorial) with the sole exception of the Jefferson Memorial. (I plan to remedy this as soon as possible)
47. I used to want to be a diplomat, and have subsequently developed a knack for a diplomatic approach to most things I do and say.
48. I worked as a legal secretary for my dad and can write a seriously formal (and diplomatic) letter.
49. I read all four Twilight books in about 2 weeks...the last two in the space of 2 1/2 days. (the only upside to being sick) I think they are captivating, geniusly written works that I can't seem to get enough of. Stephenie Meyers writing style has this way of drawing out emotions and passions that seem to transcend the basic, everyday words on the page. She weaves a thrilling, intriguing story and world. I hope to one day write as well as her.
50. I would love to publish a book someday. I have dozens of stories bouncing around inside my head. Unfortunately the one currently capturing my focus could only be posted as fan fiction and was inspired by an im RPG I had going with a friend once.

51. I was completely obsessed with Pirates of the Caribbean when it first came out and frequented the IMDb boards with my then online alias of "Shadow" (shortened from my original screenname by my friends there)
52. I can identify different times in my life through music. I seem to have an ever changing playlist of my life, some songs remain constant, others morph over time. Listening to these songs can transport me back to a very specific time of my life.
53. My mom was once afraid I wouldn't ever get away from picture books. Now it's hard to get me to put a book down. I was the girl who would read under her desk in junior high. (they rarely gave us time for that in my high school classes)
54. I love to bake, though most of the time lately I find myself feeling much to lazy to do so.
55. I love organization. The hurricane hits my spaces once in a while, but rarely lasts more than a few days, a week at most. I can't work in a cluttered, disorganized space.
56. Mirrors make wonderful idea boards. My roommate and I once drew out the web and ideas for her senior thesis on our mirror. It was one of the best ideas we ever had. (and admittedly one of the funnest)
57. I've recently discovered a love for pomegranate. Crystal Light makes a fabulous and refreshing Cherry Pomegranate drink. It's gives you a tasty and healthy dose of immunity while you're at it.
58. In my life I've been to Nevada, New York, Washington D.C., Maryland, Pennsylvania, Virginia, North Carolina, Florida and New Jersey.
59. One of my most favorite vacations was going to North Carolina my senior year of high school for my uncle's wedding and getting to stay in the most amazing beach house with almost my whole family. It was unforgettable.
60. I burn VERY easily. The worst burn I ever got was the time I fell asleep on my stomach for three hours at the beach freshman year with a friend while studying for finals. I'd shaved and forgotten to put sunscreen on the back of my legs. I couldn't lay on my back or even straighten my legs for days. It took nearly 3 days for it to start healing. I could tell because after all the water I'd been drinking to help, I woke up from a nap suddenly, and finally, parched.

61. I'm Roman Catholic
62. My go to fall asleep movie (and one of my favorites) for the rare nights that I need the tv on in the background is Simply Irresistible.
63. Some of my favorite movies include: Center Stage, 10 Things I Hate About You, Elizabethtown, Hitch, Mamma Mia, The Holiday, A Philadelphia Story, Cars, Sleeping Beauty and Charade. I also love Star Wars, Lord of the Rings and the Pirates of the Caribbean movies.
64. I have only read (and will only ever read) one Stephen King novel: Eyes of the Dragon. It's unusual for him and completely wonderful. I doubt I could handle his other books. (see #42)
65. I had a Twitter account for months before I actually started using it. (jayasolo, if you want to find me)
66. I love quotes. I often find meaning in random quotes and always seem to read the right quote at the time I need it.
67. My three top childhood shows were My Little Ponies (I actually own the movie...it was a present for my 19th birthday, lol), Rainbow Brite and the Carebears.
68. I am somewhere around 5'10", maybe slightly less. (I've been told both and it's been a while since someone officially measured me)
69. I am incredibly close with my maternal grandparents. I talk to them multiple times a week and don't know what I would ever do without them.
70. I could eat a whole bag of avocados if given the chance. (I haven't, and I hope I wouldn't, since a whole bag would NOT be appreciated by my hips)

71. When I was younger I wanted to live on a farm. My cousin and I would spend a week in the summer at my grandparent's house and pretend to be farm girls. It helped that my grandparents kept a delicious vegetable garden in the summer and had family friends who always invited us to pick peaches from their extensive peach orchard.
72. My cousin Ariel is probably the person I'm closest to, we've been close since we were little. When we get together there are inevitable and wonderful trips down memory lane which usually ends up with us in fits of giggles. We are quite a force to be reckoned with when together.
73. I love hibiscus flower designs. The scent is delicious as well. It also tastes delicious when part of a tea mix or when made into Jamaica (which, for those of you like me who think that's a country, it's pronounced 'huh-Micah')
74. I have an ear-piercing scream. The way the story goes, two of my uncles walked to the nursery after I was born, and they could tell which one I was because I was the one with tons of jet black hair screaming several decibals over all the other babies. At least that's how they tell it.
75. I love planning and coordinating parties and events. I decorated for one of my mom's best friend's weddings almost solo because she her sister got there late and her sister didn't have time to do it. (I was only supposed to be helping her with the banquet hall, I'd already done the arch for the ceremony)
76. I didn't drink until I was 21. (apparently this is unusual) Even after the clock struck 12:01 I had a hard time doing it. My friend J had to literally talk me through taking a sip of my vodka cranberry. He also had to talk me through my first shot (some extra friends showed up at midnight with citron for me) They kept having to refill cause I kept hesitating and not drinking. (only like, 3, maybe 4 times)
77. I didn't have my first real kiss until I was 21 either. (shocking, right?)
78. My favorite gemstone is sapphire. It also happens to be my birthstone AND my favorite color.
79. My three favorite artists are Vincent Van Gogh, Claude Monet and Edgar Degas.
80. I used to bite my nails until one day I realized that if I didn't bite them they're grow long and pretty. Haven't bitten them since (except in cases where I chip or break one and a file is not to be found)

81. I love milk. I drink it like it's water
82. I used to tease my Mom and Grama for getting teared up over cards, movies and commercials. Only apparently it's genetic and now we tease ourselves. (my cousin Ariel is included in this as well, it didn't hit till we were in our late teens/early twenties)
83. I was in marching band in high school and absolutely loved it. I eventually want to have my own high school marching band.
84. My cousin Ariel and I played Barbies up until we were probably about 15. Our younger girl cousins made a lovely excuse for doing so.
85. One unforgettable summer at my grandparents house, Ariel, her little brother and I had an epic game of Barbies. The highlight was "pee-pee head man". Yes there is a story. Maybe I'll tell it some time. No it's not dirty, come on, we were kids being silly.
86. I love the scent of incense but it wrecks havoc with my allergies and ability to breathe. (luckily my churches rarely use incense, unlike some Catholic churches)
87. I have a fascination with cathedrals and Gothic architecture. (have you ever been to the National Cathedral? Absolutely one of my favorites)
88. I have toured Mount Vernon, Monticello and Colonial Williamsburg.
89. My favorite history subjects are music history (particularly in the encompassing context of world events), American history (particularly the Revolutionary era) and European history. I love medieval and renaissance history. Basically I love all history, but those are the ones I've studied most and seem to gravitate to.
90. If I could be a superhero or a mutant, my power would be invisibility/ability to walk through walls or the ability to fly. Ideally I'd be as cool as Peter Petrelli, but that might be pushing it a bit.

91. I am a fiercely loyal friend and I love unconditionally. Period. Some people have trouble understanding this concept.
92. I am rather "proper" as some like to call it, I follow rules, etc. But I don't judge. I may not necessarily agree with an action or behavior, but it is not my place to judge. I firmly believe in tolerance. Granted, there are certain subjects that I see wholly and unshakably in firm black and white. Non-negotiables, as I would call them.
93. I am not afraid to be incredibly blunt and straightforward when the situation calls for it, particularly in regards to my feelings and comfort level.
94. I would love to own an alto flute. I fell in love the first time I ever had the opportunity to play one. I love the deep, rich tones. It's absolutely beautiful and wonderful to play.
95. I danced until 8th or 7th grade. Ballet/tap combo to jazz and then back to ballet. I stopped because my heart eventually went out of it after we moved and I switched studios. I didn't fit in in my studio like my old one. I regret quitting and am considering taking up an adult class.
96. I like big dogs. I want a golden retriever or a lab someday. I'd love a German Shepard, but they're REALLY expensive.
97. I'm a sucker for chai lattes and chai frappuccinos. Chai is my version of coffee.
98. I love fruit smoothies and a bowl of fruit for breakfast when the weather is warm.
99. As my very first post will tell you, I fell in love with photography back my Sophomore year of college. I started my blog as a photography blog, and slowly morphed into a combination of writing and photography. (though I've been heavy with the writing and less with the photography lately...working on it)
100. I was inspired to blog by reading other amazing blog writers. Blogging has given me an outlet to write and share my story anonymously (and by that I mean without real life people reading it) I have discovered a fabulous online community with loving and supportive friends like I had never imagined.


If you actually made it to the end, I'm impressed. Thank you so much for visiting and reading my blog and sharing in my one year bloggiversary with me. :)


18 comments:

Anonymous said...

Jaina,
This post made my day! I loved reading and learning so much about you. You put so much thought into your list and it shows. It confirmed what I already knew, I am so very happy that we are friends. You are a gem!
XXXXXXXX

Jaina said...

Cheryl-That comment just made my day :) I'm glad you enjoyed the post. I'm very happy we're friends too. :) Have a great Friday!

Anonymous said...

I LOVE these kinds of posts! It's so much fun to learn about bloggy-friends. :-)

Jaina said...

April-Thanks for coming by, I'm glad you liked this post :)

Gigi Ann said...

Jaina,

Congratulations on your 100 Blogiversary.

I really did enjoy reading all 100 things about you. That was fun. Like Cheryl said, I too loved
reading and learning so much about you.

Now here is the question: Why aren't there more photographs? It sounds like you live is a very lovely area of the world. So why not once a week or month share a photograph of something interesting in your little corner of the world. But, whatever you choose to do, it is your blog, and you can do whatever you want. ;)

Have a Fabulous Week-end.

Jaina said...

Gramma Ann-Thanks :) And in answer to your question...because I simply haven't had the time or energy to do much with photos at the moment, and I haven't been on my home computer very often, which is where my photos live. I'm working on it though ;)

Tabitha Blue said...

Jaina, what fun things to read about you!!! Happy Blogiversary!

My eyes change color all the time and I can't watch scary movies either, not at all!!

Great post...

:)
~Tabitha~

freshmommyblog.com

Jaina said...

Tabitha-Thanks! Glad to know I'm not alone with the scary movie thing. :)

Erin said...

what a great post. i enjoyed learning more about you. you made all 100 things very interesing. congrats on your 100th post!

Jaina said...

Erin-Thanks! I'm glad you liked it. Though it's actually my 1 year bloggiversary. This was supposed to be my 100th post...but I so did not get it finished on time.

Mandy said...

Congrats on your anniversary! I started 100 things and only got to 32. I gave up. Alas, I enjoyed reading more about you!

Jaina said...

Mandy-Thanks! 32..that sounds like the number mine sat at for months until I realized my 1 year bloggiversary was coming up and I might actually have a reason to finish it. It's surprisingly challenging to come up with 100 facts about me.

Sarah Katie said...

Surprisingly there are a lot of things that we have in come, about 30 or so of the things on your list are things that I have done or do. For example. There are certain songs and CD's in my collection that remind me of certain times in my life. I have a really sensitive mouth to pain too because I had a lot of work done on my mouth when I was a little kid. I have never dyed or done anything colorwise to my hair and I don't plan to. My eyes are green but also change color. Just in the last couple of years I have started crying when I read letters or watch movies, I never used to tear up at anything. I use my mirror as an idea board constantly, and I love chai! it is way better than coffee. I also love smoothies and fresh fruit although I will eat them all year long. I've never had a dog, but someday I want to get one, and most likely I will get a big one.

Jaina said...

Sarah Katie-That's awesome, we do have quite a lot in common :)

Supercool Hotmama said...

Hooray! I Loved your 100! I am also a Jane Austen fanatic! (What's the name of that fictional series about her?) I read the first 3 Twilight books in 3 days, then started back at the beginning and read them again, slower. Horseback riding through Central Park sounds fabulous!

Jaina said...

Supercool Hotmama-Yay for another Austen fanatic. :) You can find all the titles, etc here: http://www.stephaniebarron.com/books.html. That's the author's website. I love them, they're so great. :)

Anonymous said...

At least you managed French. I'm going and still haven't learned...despite the fact that I had it in high school and a little in college, post college, post college some more. My chances of learning it are not looking so good right now.

This was a great post to read. Maybe I'll try it for my violincellist blog someday.

Jaina said...

Score One-I found that it took a lot of hands on practice and submersion. I think what finally did it was drill practice in college. We had to speak in French and drilled things around in a game almost. Things just started clicking. I wish I'd been able to continue or had gone to France...I really want to pick it back up.

Thanks for stopping by, I'm glad you liked this post :)